His Holiness Jagadguru Sri Shivarathri Deshikendra Mahaswamiji is the 24th pontiff of Sri Suttur Math, established in the 10th century at Suttur, Mysore District, Karnataka. Swamiji who assumed the Peetha in 1986 at the young age of 29 years, had his spiritual training under the guidance of his illustrious predecessor H H Jagadguru Dr Sri Shivarathri Rajendra Mahaswamiji, the founder president of the JSS Mahavidyapeetha, an educational and cultural organization dedicated to the ideal of providing education to the villages of Karnataka.
EFFORT AS A RELIGIOUS HEAD
- Has been responsible for establishing “ Bharithya Samskruthika Parishath ” at All India Level by providing collective leadership involving all the heads of different religions, with an aim to take up activities which could benefit mankind.
- President “Foundation for Unity of Religions” (FUREC) an All India Level Organisation,initiated by His Excellency Dr.A.P.G. Abdul Kalam, President of India along with other religious Heads.
- Has taken the initiative of spreading Indian Spirituality & Culture in United States of America, by establishing a JSS SPIRITUAL MISSION at Maryland, USA.
- Has involved in promoting the values present in Indian Tradition & Culture within India for the benefit of different sections of the society through various activities, like Retreat Camps, Celebrating the Birth Anniversary Functions of Saints of Suttur Math & Other important religious leaders, messages through house to house visits & Organising of Fairs, Jatras for the benefit of urban & rural people
- Has involved in providing right directions to the leaders of the society & common man through constant interactions, which will help the society to bring in harmony.
- Has involved in enabling the passing of knowledge present in our spiritual scripts & texts through publications & establishment of Vedic Schools & Gurukulas (School for Training & Religious Heads).
- Chairman “Gurusangamam”, Confederation of Indigenous Spiritual Moments led by the current torch-bearers of the indigenous spiritual movements of India.
EFFORT AS A SOCIAL REFORMER
Expanding Educational Opportunities
Believing in the words of his Predecessor that “Ignorance is the root of all evils in the society and education is the sovereign remedy”, he has steered and guided JSS Mahavidyapeetha to become the centre of learning by guiding more than 300 Educational Institutions spread over in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh.
The following are the figures in brief
|General Education||Preprimary schools
Teacher Training Institutes
(2 have autonomous status)
|Technical Education||Engineering colleges
Institute of Management Studies
International Institute for professional studies
|Medical Education||Medical College
Naturopathy and Yogic Science Nursing College
School of Nursing
Institute of Speech and Hearing
College of Physiotherapy
College of Nursing
|Professional Education||Law College (autonomous)||01|
Efforts are made to provide value based education in all the institution by giving importance to overall development of an individual through state-of-art facilities to make him a useful citizen to the country. Majority of the institutions have collaborations with reputed universities, industrial and research organizations within and outside India (USA, UK, Australia, Ukraine, Finland, Japan, France, Italy, Singapore, Malaysia etc.,) for many of their formal programmes.
EFFORT FOR ECONOMICALLY DEPRIVED
|Free Education School||
|Special Schools for Physically & Mentally challenged||His Holiness made to realize the dreams of his mentor / guru Dr.Rajendra Swamiji of providing knowledge base for the physically and mentally challenged persons by establishing following dedicated schools
|Dasoha||The philosophy of Veerashaivism strongly believes in Dasoha “Giving to the needy”. True to its philosophy, His Holiness is striving hard to practice this every moment in his life time.
|Mass marriages||Marriage affair being one of the difficult affordable activity in Indian community, it is very difficult for the parents to discharge this responsibility. For the economically poorer sections of the community, it is still worst. Understanding the situation and the need, His Holiness shoulders the responsibility of facilitating more than 200 parents to perform marriage of their sons and daughters free of cost at the central facility provided by the Math.|
|Health Services||Under the guidance of His Holiness, in order to provide healthcare facilities to the middle class and economically poor sections of the society, JSS Medical service Trust has established
|Agri-based services to the farming community||With a concern to the farming community, His Holiness has given lot of emphasis. In the field of agriculture for the benefit of the farmers to improve their technology, a Krishi Vigyana Kendra with ICAR association is established. Through this activities like vemiculture (with the assistance CAPART and Infrasys) is being popularized. Central facilities for soil testing and online field demonstrations are also taken up. Under SGSY a programme of 15 crores with the assistance of Govt. of India and Govt. of Karnataka is taken up with an objective to
PROMOTER OF ART & CULTURE
His Holiness has been striving hard to restore the treasures of Indian culture & art. Parallely efforts are also made to pass on these treasures to the succeeding generations by encouraging the younger generations to take interest in our art & culture through various initiatives.
Art and Culture
- A Sharana Sahitya Parishat is established at Bangalore with district units through out the state to propagate the Vachanas of Basava and other religious leaders.
- A Sangeetha Sabha which is constituted is active in promoting the Music and culture.
- A Kala Mantapa for the promotion of various forms of art exists which has an objective to reach out the common masses the traditions and values present in our Indian culture.
- To meet the cultural needs of society, a community centre is built at Bangalore and Delhi.
- To promote the artisans and to nurture the taste for artifacts among the younger generations, a central place for building the capacities and showcasing the artisan products is established at Mysore under the name JSS Urban Haat.
UNDERSTANDING OF WORLD AS ONE
With an effort to bridge the gap between east and west (spiritualism and materialism), His Holiness has travelled abroad on number of occasions to organize / attend (on invitation)various international workshops / seminars and conferences on spiritual and contemporary topics. Some of the important countries visited are UK, USA, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Singapore, Dubai and most of the European countries.
Recently he has been instrumental in establishing a full fledged Spiritual Mission at USA and educational institutions at Mauritius and Dubai.
NETWORKED EFFORTS WITH DIFFERENT RELIGIOUS ORGANIZATIONS
- H H Dalailama, Spiritual leader – Buddism, Tibetian settlement in India – New Delhi
- Himalayan Institute of Yogic Sciences, Dehradun – H H Sri Swami Rama
- Prajapita Brahma Kumari Eshwari Viswa Vidyanilaya, Mount Abu – H H Brahma Kumari Janaki Dadiji
- Art of Living, Bangalore – Sri Sri Ravishankar Guruji
- Sri Akshardham – Gandinagar, Gujarat – H.H Narayan Swami Temple
- H H Acharya Maha Prajnaji, Surat
- Sri Ni. Pra. Swa. Shivakumaraswamiji of Siddaganga Math, Tumkur, Karnataka
- Sri Siddeshwara Swamiji of Gnana Yogashrama, Bijapur Dist.,Karnataka
- Jagadguru Sri Shivamurthy Shivacharya Mahaswamiji of Sirigere Math, Taralabalu, Karnataka
- Padmashree Sri D Veerendra Heggade of Dharmastala, South Canara, Karnataka
- Sri Vishwesha Threertha Sri Padangalavaru of Pejavar Math, Udupi, Karnataka
- Jagadguru Sri Balagangadharanatha Mahaswamigalavaru of Adichunchanagiri Math, Mandya District, Karnataka
- Sri Sri Ganapathi Sachidananda Mahaswamji of Sri Avadootha Datta Peetam, Sachidananda Ashram, Mysore, Karnataka
- Sri Charukeerthi Bhattaraka Mahaswamigalavaru of Shravana Belagola, Hassan District, Karnataka
- Sri Sadguru Jaggi Vasudevji of Isha Foundation, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
- Satguru Bodhinatha Veylanswami, Himalayan Academy, Kauai’s Hindu Monastery, Hawai